[Talk-GB] UK coastline data

Devonshire maps at fortyfivekev.co.uk
Sat Jul 13 20:30:10 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019, at 12:47 PM, Borbus wrote:
> ...That data is included with the OS tidal waters data. It's not much more
> effort to use it and it's very useful data for many people. People use
> maps for many different things. Rendering is not a problem. Carto
> handles it just fine already. But it does expect the intertidal zone to
> be between a "coastline" and the edge of a tidalflat.

Unfortunately, this is one of those fairly pointless discussions that characterises OSM. I know it isn't always possible but I prefer the meaning of words in OSM tags to have the same meaning as in everyday conversation. If you want to add a way on every river in the country describing the mean low water level then fine but that doesn't mean you need to call it coastline.

If tidal beaches, mudflats, marsh areas, etc. are tagged as tidal=yes (which they should be) then all you are doing by adding a way for MLW is describing the part of the river that on average is non-tidal which doesn't add any extra information that isn't already there.

I notice that several people have messed around with the tagging on the Dart over the years so it probably isn't perfect anyway but changing it to coastline certainly isn't the solution.

Kevin