[Talk-GB] Automated Code-Point Open postcode editing (simple cases only)

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sat Jul 20 07:02:35 UTC 2019

On 19/07/2019 22:36, ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk wrote:
> On 19/07/2019 20:29, Mark Goodge wrote:
>>
>> ONS postcode products are also OGL, so can be reused in OSM and
>> similar. They're also more useful than Code-Point Open in that they
>> also include lookups to a number of other government codes (such as
>> local authority GSS codes). It also differentiates between "large
>> user" and normal postcodes, and includes an introduction date and,
>> where applicable, a termination date for every valid postcode.
>
> That would be very useful indeed but what is the license of these extra
> features? OGL alone doesn't mean anything if they qualify it with "data
> may contain third party IP" or similar.

It's OGL apart from BT postcodes, which are mentioned separately in the
licence.

> Their website says:
>
> "Our postcode products (derived from Code-Point® Open) are subject to
> the Open Government Licence."
>
> and then:
>
> "If you also use the Northern Ireland data (postcodes starting with
> “BT”), you need a separate licence for commercial use direct from Land
> and Property Services."
>
> I understand it as only the part that already exists in Code-Point Open
> is free, extra information may or may not be free, depending if it comes
> from ONS own data or other sources.

The other information is OGL as that's derived from other published data
that's already OGL. For example, GSS codes and their associated names.
The licence page is quite clear about that: postcode lookup data is OGL
apart from BT postcodes. And those are easy enough to filter out if
necessary.

Mark