[Talk-GB] Poly Tunnels vs Greenhouses

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 22:41:26 UTC 2019

On 08/11/2019 20:50, Philip Barnes wrote:
> No problem with boats and greenhouses that don't move.
>
> But these are probably seasonal and certainly shouldn't be mapped
> from aerial imagery alone as they may have long gone. They certainly
> need a recent survey.

I don't think polytunnels in open fields should be mapped, for this
reason. They are seasonal and transient. They will be there for part of
the year, and then removed after the growing season, and may not be used
again on the same field the following year.

However, there are some permanent polytunnels that are, effectively,
plastic greenhouses. Those can, and should, be mapped. But it needs
local knowledge to map them. You can't do it from imagery.

> It reminds me of the time an armchair mapper carefully traced a Maize
> Maze that had existed for a short time in a field near me a couple of
> years earlier.

I'm pleased to see that we do have the Hampton Court Maze mapped, though :-)

Mark