[Talk-GB] OSM-UK misunderstands the British Isles

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 19:07:37 UTC 2019

Thanks all.

As noted the wiki page is not run by OSM-UK (the company) although company
members and directors are free to update it, along with everyone else. I
personally have done some edits recently (more to come) and found it odd
that the page has that text at the top about what the UK is and the term
Britain. I am not sure how that helps people to map and I was very tempted
to delete it completely. Those wanting to know about the UK can use their
favourite search engine and/or Wikipedia.

The website (osmuk.org) is run by OSM-UK (the company) although if anyone
would like to help make changes, please let me know. In addition to the
company membership, we also maintain an email newsletter. The audience for
that is higher at 190 subscribers. Whilst I would love to see those
additional people become company members, it is entirely their choice. It
is also worth noting that we have a set percentage of members that need to
attend meetings in order for them to be quorate. Having the differentiation
between company members and newsletter subscribers helps here. Those that
to participate in decision making should join as a company member, whereas
those just wanting the occasional update can just join the newsletter list.

I'm going to start a new thread as we also have some news about future
meetings.

Best regards,
*Rob*