[Talk-GB] OSM-UK misunderstands the British Isles

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 00:10:55 UTC 2019

Hi Dave,

You can read about the formation of OSM UK at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/OSMUK

I believe the main regional discussion was started on the 2015-12-17
meeting. It continued through the process of drafting our articles of
association and as part of becoming a Local Chapter of the foundation.

>From my research I found that "British Islands" is a term used within UK
law. It is the definition as set out there that we ended up using. Naming
wise we settled on OSMUK rather than OSM British Islands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Islands

Some of the minutes seem to have been lost. The Google docs ones are due to
an error on my part (I moved the files to a private folder). I'll restore
these when back on my laptop but for now here is the meeting notes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F3-3I0W_irUXpNybqH31F7DnLNKayWxx/view?usp=drivesdk

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve from your questions
here. As noted the region was defined following discussion and is now set.
The extension to cover the Channel Islands and Isle of Man ensures that
these communities have access to a legal entity with a bank account should
they find that useful. Just like in the UK it is entirely up to each
individual as to when and whether they want to direct something via the OSM
UK company rather than via their own person to person relationships.
Depending upon who you are dealing with sometimes a registered company is a
plus.

I hope this helps with understanding the context. We're certainly not
trying to rewrite history or take control off anyone.

P.s. it's not uncommon to have national naming oddities. "Team GB" is
another such example. I seem to recall from the earlier chats on this that
someone posted a link to a long article about how .co.uk ended up being
used instead of .co.gb (GB being the 2 letter ISO code for the UK).

P.P.S I think the +44 international telephone calling code is the same
locations as OSM UK. Perhaps we should have called ourselves OSM+44 😁

Best regards,
Rob