[Talk-GB] Tagging RADAR Key Access

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:07:10 UTC 2019

I notice that the recommended tagging for places which can be accessed with
a RADAR key (typically disabled loos) is centralkey=nks.

Given that the term RADAR is much more likely to be known, I'd prefer that
we don't use the rather cryptic acronym "nks" (National Key Scheme) and in
particular because it also doesn't show that this is a UK scheme.
Alternatives might be centralkey=RADAR, centralkey=radar or
centralkey=uk_national_key_scheme or centralkey=nks_radar . The latter by
analogy with crt_watermate which is in use.

One reason why RADAR may not have been used is that the charity behind the
acronym are now called Disability Rights UK.

Currently there are 17 uses
<https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/tags/centralkey=nks>. Most on
toilets. We could probably increase this 10 fold just from places surveyed,
particularly if we made it more discoverable through a more meaningful tag
name.

Jerry