[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Oct 4 20:18:40 UTC 2019

On 04/10/2019 01:52, ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk wrote:

> Besides, the main reason for importing these data is that we can get
> _all_ postcodes in the database. This gives users confidence that when
> they search for a postcode they will reliably get a result they are
> looking for. This is not possible when merging postcodes with
> buildings simply because we still have only a small fraction of
> buildings in the database.

Searching for GB postcodes on the OSM site works already. The search
system, Nominatim, has extra datasets loaded to improve the search and
one of them already is Codepoint Open. If you search for postcode that
is not currently in a GB address (it's not yet been added possibly
because the buildings it describes have not been created in the database
yet) search still find it and centres the map on the imaginary postcode
centroid. So to make searching work we do not need to import imaginary
postcode centroids to the main OSM database.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)