[Talk-GB] Import UK postcode data?

ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sat Oct 5 08:45:03 UTC 2019

On 04/10/2019 20:28, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> The reality is that people expect postcodes to be a functional search term on online mapping, at least in the UK,
> You *are* ware that UK post codes are fully findable on the OSM website
> and any site that runs the Nominatim geocoder? It must have been
> mentioned somewhere in this thread. This means that our web site and
> anything that uses Nominatim for geocoding already knows UK post codes
> without importing them to OSM.

It is not like they were telling us "don't add addresses, we can do it
better". They have done it to workaround two issues, one with OSM data,
the other with Nominatim itself:

- For a long time we had close to zero coverage of unique postcodes.
Even now are are at around 16%.

- Nominatim doesn't support searching addr:postcode tags (don't ask me why).

Both are fixable, making the database more useful to everyone, including
people not using external data.

ndrw6