[Talk-GB] Sustrans & OSM

Edward Bainton bainton.ete at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 16:31:44 UTC 2019

Hi all

I'm meeting the local Sustrans office next week as they've asked me to
compile a 'map' of the NCN mileposts in my area (I think they really mean
an inventory with locator maps).

Obviously I'll be using OSM, and trying to get them to see the benefits of
doing the same. OSM seems to be largely unknown in the local office.

1. Does anyone know *any history of engaging with Sustrans*, to inform my
lobbying?
There's mention on the wiki
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_National_Cycle_Network#Tagging_information>
of
them making milepost locations available for mapping - but that's a long
time ago now.

2. Here's a sample page
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3d686qnu77t0mz/Millennium%20milepost%20Compilation.doc.pdf?dl=0>
of what they sent me as a precedent.
*Any suggestions for how to leverage OSM's capabilities to improve it?*
I ask as a non-techie. My own thoughts: put it online & wikify; 'live'
locator maps updating as OSM changes; filterable by NCN route.

Thanks as ever

Edward / eteb3