[Talk-GB] TfL cycle data published - proposed conflation process

Martin - CycleStreets list-osm-talk-gb at cyclestreets.net
Sun Oct 13 17:34:23 UTC 2019

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> (1)
>
> I would suggest also generatingĀ  big OSM file with this data (without
> conflation, just what would be imported into unmapped area) and running
> JOSM validator on it.
>
> It may find bugs in data, proposed conversion and in JOSM itself.

That's a really great suggestion - have added that in at the end of point
4:

"This data should be published as an .osm file for community validation. It
should be run against the JOSM Validator, essentially checking its
correctness against a theoretical blank map."

> --------
> (2)
>
> I would advise also consulting
> OSM community after steps 4, 5, 6.
>
> Just post on talk-gb and process feedback.

Yes, I think this is very important and I included that - see mentions in
5) v.
5) vii.
6) xiii.
6) xiv.
and the addition of the JOSM Validation step noted above.

> ------
> (3)
>
> What is also missing isĀ  - posting in imports mailing list
> - obtaining permission from OSM community for import (Assuming that
> process continues to be as great as so far it should be without
> problems).

I've added in a new point 4, covering these two:

4. Post in the imports mailing list a full description of the proposed
process, seeking consent:

> - documenting new proposed tags on OSM Wiki and getting feedback

Added in explicitly as part of point 3.

> (Full proposal process is not necessary, but may be considered, but at
> least post about new proposed tags on tagging mailing list. Things like
> that often benefit from additional review)
>
> But mappers should be able to check what exactly will be changed.
>
> Agreeing on principle that data may be useful
> does not mean that any import is ok.

Agreed, and added in mention of the tagging list.

> ---------
> (4)
>
> Have you considered importingĀ
> some topics separately?
>
> For example - in the first run import just
> bicycle parkings.

Useful suggestion. I thought just starting with a small area would be a
sensible alpha stage, but actually within that having a single asset type
first, and then following with the other types when that is successful, is
a good idea.

Martin,                     **  CycleStreets - For Cyclists, By Cyclists
Developer, CycleStreets     **  https://www.cyclestreets.net/