[Talk-GB] TfL cycle data published - schema mapping

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 17:08:56 UTC 2019

I have had a quick look at the cycle parking too. A few comments:

   - You suggest "bicycle_parking=stands" for 3 cases of the TfL data:
   Stands, "M stands" and "P stands". I shall let others comment on whether we
   want to introduce new OSM tags for these. Perhaps cyclists have an interest
   if one is preferable to another. (See:
   https://bikedata.cyclestreets.net/tflcid/conversion/#prk_mstand)
   - bicycle_parking=locker implies individual compartments for each bike.
   I was about to suggest that this doesn't therefore seem right for TfL's
   "hanger" (https://bikedata.cyclestreets.net/tflcid/conversion/#prk_hangar).
   Was going to suggest just bicycle_parking=stands + covered=yes. However a
   look at the images suggests that these are all from a single rental company
   and that they are secure spaces which you rent out (see
   https://cyclehoop.force.com/RentalsCommunity/resultsmap?postalCode=se1 )
   given how many there are I am sure London mappers will already have come up
   with a tagging solution... Maybe just locker as you propose and not
   worrying about the fact that 6 bikes share a single locker. Shed seems to
   be the alternate option here.
   - bicycle_parking=cyclehoop seems like a suitable new tag but again I'll
   let others comment as they may have already used some other tag for these.
   - For Secure I would consider bicycle_parking=shed instead of locker.
   The description on the wiki seems to fit better here ("A custom-built
   closed shed...").

Rest looks fine to me and the above is not a blocker - just something to
encourage others to look and have their say.

Thank you,
*Rob*