[Talk-GB] CWGC: worldwide, war graves

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sun Apr 26 13:20:26 UTC 2020

On 26/04/2020 14:26, Tony OSM wrote:
> Am browsing the CWGC website as I write, looking at my locality.
>
> Clearly landuse=cemetery is the principal tag for the typical CWGC
> cemetery - dedicated to military with rows of the fallen.
>
> There is a proposal for cemetary=sector which appears to have failed.
>
> CWGC is showing in my locality > 20 locations where there are CWGC
> casualties, most are in local cemeteries and graveyards. Quantity of
> graves is from 1 upwards.
>
> Nationality of the interred also may be important - there may be very
> many commonwealth nationalities in one location.

That is a good point.  For example, Australians may only want to focus
on cemeteries with Anzacs

The CWGC data set includes the number of graves for each nationality
https://anzacathon.com/data-sources.shtml

> If we generate a tag schema it clearly needs to be applicable to other
> grave organisations - e.g. German War Graves Commission - /Volksbund
> Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge/ in German.
>
> Will we use abbreviation or the full name?

I wonder if these organizations also communicate with each other.  There
may be some opportunity to get further insights from them.  They may
also see some benefit in collaboration with OSM.

> What about a cemetery with multiple organisations graves? (I've seen some)
>
> URL's to the parent site - CWGC - there could be several in one cemetary.

CWGC tracks over 20,000 cemeteries.  In many of the small ones, it is a
single war grave in a regular cemetery and there is a plaque near the
gate telling people about it.

Here is an example:

https://www.ww2cemeteries.com/allemont-le-rivier-communal-cemetery.html

I went there on my bike and made an updated site, including links back
to OSM:

https://anzac.site/france/le-rivier-d-allemont/

Regards,

Daniel