[Talk-GB] National Cycle Network removal/reclassification

John Aldridge jpsa at cantab.net
Thu Aug 13 15:43:39 UTC 2020

On 8/13/2020 3:41 PM, Simon Still wrote:

> Width of cycleyway is definitely useful if separated from traffic but
> some way of reflecting the comfort of the riding experience on marked
> routes would be a big step forward. Traffic Volumes,. Lane widths,
> traffic speed all contribute (as does surface - gravel bad, cobbles bad,
> smooth tarmac good)

Definitely. I have no solution to offer, but it's perhaps worth noting
that there are several classes of user here - what's fine for a mountain
bike may be downright uncomfortable for a racing bike, and what's fine
for a leisurely Sunday excursion might be wholly unsuitable for a daily
commute.

Another aspect which has a big effect on the cycling experience is the
frequency of encountering walkers (especially dog walkers). If you
frequently have to slow to a walking pace to get past safely, it rapidly
spoils the experience.

Being on an NCN is definitely no guarantee: one of the least comfortable
couple of mile's cycling I recall was on the NCN 3 at Penzance, for example.

John