[Talk-GB] National Cycle Network removal/reclassification

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 13 17:38:57 UTC 2020

On 13/08/2020 15:41, Simon Still wrote:

> So my understanding is that OSM normally only maps what’s actually on
> the ground rather than what might be shown on a map (and there was
> some discussion recently about this -
> https://www.mail-archive.com/talk-gb@openstreetmap.org/msg19303.html)

This is slightly untrue. Boundaries aren't marked across fields as
dashed lines, but stored in documentation, usually electronically these
days. As long as they're published under a compatible licence OSM can, &
do, use them.

> So even if Sustrans declassify it, if the signs are still up shouldn’t
> it remain in OSM?

OSM should be using the most up to date data available. In this instance
I think Sustrans saying they've decommissioned a few NCNs & publishing
an updated map is the more accurate information. I don't think the
relations should be deleted as they're probably to be reclassified (I
think).

DaveF