[Talk-GB] New Bing Imagery

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Aug 19 09:11:46 UTC 2020

So, I followed the links below and added an offset. But this simply
isn't a viable solution to the problem because it only works for JOSM
and not iD.

I managed to convince one mapper to type in the offset manually in iD
every time, but that is a horrible thing to ask new mappers to do,
very offputting. And now I can see Amazon mappers using an iD variant
that doesn't have the offset and moving all the roads as a result:
 https://osmcha.org/changesets/89549551?aoi=758c7f2b-faca-44e5-acd2-0cb8c33034bd
This is going to keep happening so long as OSM has multiple image
sources and multiple editors. Frankly I'm amazed that this isn't a
solved problem.

Having done some mapping across the country recently, it seems like
Bing is offset to the previous best imagery across the country, but by
varying amounts. Is there really no solution that can be applied to
the source Bing layer? Or should we all just accept Bing as golden?

Having added thousands of buildings and fixed roads to align to the
previous best imagery, I don't have a good solution to the problem,
and it is demotivating to think that others are going to come along
and move individual roads/buildings to align without considering the
bigger picture.

The only solution I can think of is to move all nodes in the area I've
worked on to match the new Bing (ie a mass edit). Any other
suggestions?

Stephen