[Talk-GB] Tagging of shared use paths

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 20:17:20 UTC 2020

On 10/12/2020 14:08, Tony Shield wrote:
> /Are there any public cycleways from which pedestrians are actually banned?
> /
>
> Unfortunately yes - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/827379295
>
> Quite clear signage - Mapillary -
> https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=53.66933432657343&lng=-2.6290113968031967&z=17&pKey=_ir_HmYAIa4H0rnj1JrO8A&focus=photo
> //

Although, having said that, there's no equivalent prohibition sign when
approaching that section from the other end. And the point where that
cycleway crosses the M6 slip road is clearly signalled as a "Toucan"
(pedestrians and cycles) crossing:

https://goo.gl/maps/gKBbuspimGe9ZjaAA

Since a route that you can use as a pedestrian in one direction but not
the other would be somewhat absurd (and something that UK highway law
makes no provision for), I'm more inclined to think that the sign at the
Chorley end (at the intersection with Temple Way) does not, in fact,
have legal force. It seems to me that it's more likely to be the result
of an over-zealous highway officer getting the wrong signage installed.

Mark