[Talk-GB] FWD: Re: House number ranges that are only odd or even

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:51:29 UTC 2020

addr:interpolation used on single buildings has certainly been our standard
practice in the East Midlands for 9 or 10 years now. It's now often used in
conjunction with addr:flats or addr:unit, but also with addr:housenumber,
which I think was the first usage. It was obvious early on that multiple
addresses in one building needed to be distinguished from buildings with a
single address formed from multiple housenumbers (17-21 Xxxx Road).
addr:interpolation not only fuflils that role, but also allows the actual
number of addresses to be notated.

Extensive parts of St Anns, an inner city suburb of Nottingham redeveloped
in the late 1970s are precisely like this, with blocks containing flats
usually 6-7 units of 3 flats (one on the ground floor & 2 spanning 2 floors
above). This works fine, is understandable by mappers and relatively easy
to parse for data consumers. It's use arose from the circumstances of
mapping every address in a reasonably wide area. I think it's still true to
say that only a few places in Britain have extensive address mapping (& not
hugely different from this map
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/sk53_osm/15108130686/> I created back in
2014).

Addressing elsewhere in Europe is likely to be different from the UK, and I
see little value in asking people unfamiliar with the nitty gritty of
capturing UK addresses for their opinions on the best approach. The
current wiki
page <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses#Using_interpolation>
states that there is no consensus on the matter. In the same manner I will
leave it to Spaniards to worry about how to map floor and door (common
address components there, although surprisingly widely used
<https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/addr:door#map> on OSM) and
inhabitants of former parts of the Austro-Hungarian empire to worry
about conscription
numbers <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr:conscriptionnumber>
(context from German wikipedia
<https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konskriptionsnummer>).
However, I would regard the Dutch
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.34367/4.77750&layers=N> & Polish
communities approach of adding individual nodes for each address in the
building irrespective of the actual address position outline as incorrect
mapping in the UK. In both cases, and probably also in Denmark
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/55.68777/12.58382&layers=N>, this is
most likely because addresses have been imported from a national database
and this allows incremental updates from the same source. The problem with
this is that it prevents classic OSM iterative refinement, such as accurate
mapping for indoor usage, for instance to enable guidance for blind people.

tl;dr: addr:interpolation on single buildings works fine, has been in use
in the UK for about 10 year; there's significant variation in address
mapping between communities.

Jerry