[Talk-GB] Idea - OSMUK walkers' map application -- -& server

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 09:59:19 UTC 2020

>Hi

Hello Tony,

>I like the idea.

>Can it be extended to be a UK based map which is has greater prominence to aspects such as the >recent discussion about cyclists and paths?

Potentially, yes - I don't see why not.

I have to admit I personally haven't had much experience in recent years with creating mapnik stylesheets (I've been working with client-side renderers such as Kothic and have played with Tangram), hence my suggestion earlier of starting with Andy Townsend's style.

>Does anyone have an idea of how it could be made to happen - could we (OSM UK) fund and >maintain it with commitment for say 2 years? Using volunteers or donated equipment or personal >funding commitments? Do we know the size of server required to support a given load? Can we >manage the required operations and security?

In the early stages I think we could run it on cheap hosting hardware, like most projects in the OSM ecosystem. I suspect for a while usage would be light and limited to those in the OSM community. I use Hetzner for my hosting (OpenTrailView, Hikar, MapThePaths) - I pay around EUR 19/month but that is for a larger system that has to deal with the whole of Europe rather than just the UK.

 https://www.hetzner.com/cloud?country=gb

The second-lowest spec of these, the CPX11 is giving you 2GB RAM and 40GB disc space for EUR 4.19 a month. OK we'd need more than that long term, but I suspect that would get us going in the early stages.

I'm quite happy to create the server and pay the initial costs, but it would be good if funds could be found from OSMUK longer term if possible.

I'm also happy to do some dev work (client and server side). I can tweak the cartography and add contours (I have experience doing this) but I'll leave it up to others to do serious cartography work, and of course web design.

Or, we could even use client-side rendering, Tangram is pretty powerful, have had a play with it.

Would be a great project for the community to work on.

Nick