[Talk-GB] driveway-becomes-track

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Sat Dec 12 21:11:32 UTC 2020

On 12/12/2020 17:37, Andy Townsend wrote:

> That allows maps such as
> https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=52.28208&lon=-2.42987
> to display it as a public bridleway (in blue)

Hi Andy,

That's a great map! It seems you have already done what I would be
interested in doing - to provide a better map for walkers and others
showing footpaths, stiles and gates, etc. much more prominently.

What I'm wondering is how the typical recreational country walker would
find that map, or get it on their mobile phone app in place of the awful
Google maps? It's a lot of work to create if no-one ever uses it?

One thing I would ask for is more prominent rendering of benches. They
appear only at maximum zoom on the OSM standard map, and only as a very
small symbol. I don't suppose younger OSM mappers roam the countryside
looking for somewhere to sit and eat their lunch, but at 72 years of age
I do (cheese & pickle sandwich and a hard-boiled egg, since you ask)!

Something I feel strongly about, and would be a prime motivation for
doing something about myself, is to map and provide rendering for the
area:highway tag:

  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area:highway

Country walkers often need to include a stretch of public road in a
planned walk, and it is very difficult to discover whether a road will
be safe to walk along. Sometimes there are wide verges, but sometimes
high banks or close hedges with nowhere to leap to out of the way of
approaching traffic. It's necessary to look on Google Streetview before
setting out, but not all country roads are covered. At present even apps
which do render it (I believe OsmAnd) can't do much because it is not
commonly mapped between the hedgerows along country roads. Legally the
entire area between the property boundaries on each side is the public
highway.

Having recently been very nearly taken out by a van while walking
(legally!) along an A road, it's an omission I want to do something about.

Local highway authorities are required by law to provide a "Public
Footpath" sign where a public footpath joins a road. But they are not
required to provide any safe means of reaching it.

cheers,

Martin.