[Talk-GB] Removing all stiles from bridleways

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Tue Dec 15 11:45:08 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 11:15:47PM +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 20:57, ael via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> > I would regard this as vandalism if it is removing surveyed real stiles
> > to suit an ideal world where they are not permitted on bridleways.
>
> I favour the definitions used on the English Wikipedia, which make it
> clear that vandalism is deliberate harm, and that any well-intentioned
> edit, even if incorrect, is not vandalism, because:

I am probably oversensitive because I have had cases where I have
surveyed repeatedly with gps & photography and noted that in source
tags, only to have armchair mappers "correct" the mapping. Although
I suspect that in most cases they have just ignored the existing
mapping.

In this case, I only skimmed the changeset and failed to notice who had
made the change. I regularly map not far from this area, and know that
bridleways are often obstructed here (and elsewhere).

I must say that in situations where I suspect a problem like that, I do
usually contact the original mapper to discuss the situation rather
than take unilateral action.

ael