[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

ipswichmapper at tutanota.com ipswichmapper at tutanota.com
Sun Dec 20 13:39:47 UTC 2020

It's not just administrative boundaries. If you mark points with "place=suburb", "place=town" etc. that will also be used.

In this case it is clearly difficult to tell which tags to use, so I would just not use them and let nominatim figure out. Unless someone else a clearer solution, that is.

IpswichMapper

--

20 Dec 2020, 13:29 by colin.smale at xs4all.nl:

> On 2020-12-20 14:13, ipswichmapper--- via Talk-GB wrote:
>

>> Marking city, town etc is not necessary in UK because Geocoders like nominatim can figure those out using afministrative boundaries.
>>

> Postal addresses have no relation to administrative boundaries. They are simply "what you need to put on an envelope so Royal Mail can put it through the right letter box".
>
> Boundaries of "post town" areas are not in OSM, nor can they be considered "administrative". Post Towns, Dependent Localities and Double-Dependent Localities are not mapped (nor mappable) to Districts etc or Civil Parishes.
>

>> What is important is the housenumber and street:
>> "addr:housenumber=99
>> addr:street= Postal Street"
>>
>> And postcode:
>> "addr:postcode=XY9 7GY"
>>
>> Note, all postcodes are available freely:
>>
>> https://raggedred.net/codepoint/
>>
>> IpswichMapper
>> --
>>

>> 20 Dec 2020, 12:45 by Dave.Abbott at pandaemonia.org:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to make sure I tag addresses correctly. I am currently trying to understand how to map in my area.
>>>
>>> The postal addresses are like:
>>>
>>> 99 Postal Street
>>> Smalltown
>>> Largertown
>>> West Yorks XY9 7GY
>>>
>>> Smalltown is geographically separate to Largertown, which however is the Postal Town. Omitting Smalltown from the address is probably correct postally-speaking, but local residents would object as Smalltown is seen as completely separate to other places under the same Postal Town.
>>>
>>> Currently tagging as -
>>> addr:housenumber=99
>>> addr:street=Postal Street
>>> addr:city=Smalltown, Largertown