[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 20 13:29:22 UTC 2020

On 2020-12-20 14:13, ipswichmapper--- via Talk-GB wrote:

> Marking city, town etc is not necessary in UK because Geocoders like nominatim can figure those out using afministrative boundaries.

Postal addresses have no relation to administrative boundaries. They are
simply "what you need to put on an envelope so Royal Mail can put it
through the right letter box".

Boundaries of "post town" areas are not in OSM, nor can they be
considered "administrative". Post Towns, Dependent Localities and
Double-Dependent Localities are not mapped (nor mappable) to Districts
etc or Civil Parishes.