[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Mon Dec 21 11:48:30 UTC 2020

On 21/12/2020 11:14, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> More philosophically, post towns violate the “on the ground” principle.
> No one here writes their address as Chipping Norton unless PAF
> autocompletes it for them. No one has Chipping Norton on their
> letterhead. Trusting some remote third-party database in preference to
> local knowledge is not what OSM does, and particularly not OSM in the UK.
>
> By all means namespace it (royal_mail:addr:city) or use a bespoke tag
> for what is a bespoke concept (addr:post_town). But let’s not remove
> useful information (the actual town/city) in favour of it, and let’s not
> tag as if post towns are an intrinsic part of UK addresses, because
> they’re not.

I have a similar problem with 'PAF autocomplete' ... my business address
does not actually exist at all and the post code covers a large area of
the business park, so even that is of little help to any delivery
driver. Adding a phone number to the delivery details helps some of the
time and with temporary drivers being used in the run up to Christmas
I've had to talk a couple in this last week.

Full address is
L.S.Caine Electronic Service
Willersey Suite
De Montfort House
Enterprise Way
Vale Park
Evesham
WR11 1GS

The number of websites that do not allow for that in terms of numbers of
lines or limiting lime length preventing two elements per line ... at
least some of the delivery services are using OSM these days ... De
Montfort House, Enterprise Way takes them straight to the door :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL