[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 21 11:52:10 UTC 2020

That's why RM have a Dependent Locality, to distinguish between cases
like this. If the OSM addr:* tags are to represent postal addresses (and
that seems to be the consensus) then OSM should offer a place for the
Dependent Locality. RM say the Post Town is a mandatory component; why
do you disagree with them?

If you are sending post to someone, you will most likely have got their
address from them, and not got it by reverse geocoding. They, in turn,
will have been told their postal address by Royal Mail. Your correct
postal address is ".., Charlbury, Chipping Norton, .." whether you like
it or not... Is OSM to record the "postal address" or "people's
perception of a postal address"? Or should OSM not define that, and
allow "any old definition of an address"?

You seem very anti-RM because they are commercial; however they also
have statutory roles, whether we like it or not. One of those is
"guardian of postal addresses". In your references to other carriers do
you really expect a house to have multiple addresses according to the
carrier? If I order something online for example, I fill in my (only)
address. I don't want to have a list of addresses, depending on the
carrier chosen by the webshop (which is actually none of my business
anyway). I would say that alternatives to the PAF give alternative
sources of information, not alternative addresses.