[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:56:14 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 12:02, Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I struggle with what to call the <BuildingName> in that example.
>
> A recent suggestion for named terraces was to use addr:street=<TerraceName> and addr:parentstreet=<StreetName>, but if the <HouseNumber> relates the whole building to to parentstreet, then reconstructing an address seems impossible.

In cases where a building/property has a number and/or name on a main
street and is then sub-divided into dwellings, I would put the
building/property info in addr:housenumber and/or addr:housename with
addr:street as the main street. You then need a way to tag the
individual dwelling identifiers. Looking at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr#Detailed_subkeys it looks
like addr:unit might be the best tag to use.

This is a different way of thinking about things from the "named
terrace" as a sub-street approach. There are certainly real
sub-streets branching off main streets that could use addr:street=*
and addr:parentstreet=* that will want that approach. And there will
be instances of named/numbered buildings that have flats or
appartments within them that will want the approach above. There will
be probably be borderline cases between the two that could use either
scheme, though if the main property/building has a number on the main
street, you wouldn't be able to use the sub-street approach.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker