[Talk-GB] OSMUK walkers map - GitHub repo and demo now available

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Dec 27 16:52:43 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

To follow up my earlier message about developing an OSMUK walkers' map, I have now got (a very basic and rough and ready version of) the project off the ground, thanks to an offer of hosting from OSMUK via Adam Hoyle.

The demo is at

http://35.177.54.109/

(sorry, no HTTPS or domain name yet)

The github repo is:

https://github.com/osm-uk/walkers-map

It's very unlikely that I will be able to develop all of this myself, due partly to time constraints and partly because other people will have stronger UX, web design and cartography skills than myself. So contributions are particularly welcome; if you want to contribute do feel free to checkout the repo and submit a PR.

A bit of technical detail: it's using the Tangram client-side vector renderer (https://github.com/tangrams/tangram) together with a quick-hack roll-my-own MVT tile server, which thanks to recent developments in PostGIS is actually very easy. As it's a rough-and-ready demo, no attempt at optimisation has been made yet, also the server is quite low-spec so it might struggle under strain.

Tangram uses a YAML style file which is pretty easy and intuitive to understand and work on; this is available in the repo.

Contours are from OS Open Data and were imported into PostGIS and are served the same way as the OSM layers.

Nick