[Talk-GB] Google maps added addresses!

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 16:21:38 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I just spotted that Google Maps has added house numbers to their map of the
UK. They are all over the place - does anyone recognise the source?

What can we do to improve coverage of addresses in OSM? I notice that we
have some pretty good aerial imagery now. Should we see if we can get good
building outline from an AI / machine learning approach? If the quality is
good we can then use these to help add addresses. For example we can ask
new mappers to add addresses using tools such as StreetComplete.

Any thoughts much appreciated. I have a feeling that if we can come up with
a plan we may be able to get some help from several of the big tech
companies now interested in the UK. It would be better if we were steering
this rather than it happening to us.

Best wishes,
*Rob*