[Talk-GB] Google maps added addresses!

Gregory Williams gregory at gregorywilliams.me.uk
Mon Dec 28 17:03:40 UTC 2020

At first though I thought that these may have been machine-read, too.
I've taken a brief glance at the house numbering that they have near to
me. Several of the numbers are completely wrong.

However, I've also spotted places where there are house numbers placed
at a regular interval, but no houses actually exist there (nor ever
did). The actual numbers listed reflect houses that are perhaps 100
metres further along the road and on the other side. Further up the
same road there's numbers at a different regular spacing. Those are
situated roughly in the right area of the road, but spaced out perhaps
30% too much compared with the actual house spacing.

I'd hazard that these have perhaps come from some source where the
extent of the house numbers for a span between junctions are known
(e.g. perhaps the houses on the corners of the junctions), and linearly
interpolated from that.

I also notice places where the houses are set back a bit further from
the road centre-line, due to the nature of the junction there. The
numbers for the houses have been projected onto the road's centre-line,
rather than on the buildings themselves. A few properties further
along, where they're closer to the road, the numbers have been placed
roughly near the properties instead of on the road centreline.

Gregory