[Talk-GB] Google maps added addresses!

Alan Mackie aamackie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 00:43:55 UTC 2020

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 at 16:12, ipswichmapper--- via Talk-GB <
talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I've drawn quite a few in my home town Ipswich, mainly in the south east
> (Gainsborough) and north west (Castle Hill) areas. Those were quite a lot
> of buildings only over a few months. (I have been doing other contributions
> as well).
>
> Now, I haven't had much time to contribute to OSM lately, but if I did
> have time and I put the hours into I think I could finish all of Ipswich in
> a few months (maybe mid-late 2021).
>
> Ipswich has a population of 100,000 roughly. Lets say one devoted mapper
> could do all the buildings in about a year (maybe less).
>
> Then 100 devoted mappers could do 10,000,000 people's worth of houses.
> (About a sixth).
>
> Considering how tiny OSM outreach is I don't think we could get that many
> mappers to be that devoted. However, if some breakthrough were to take
> place where some video or post or something about OSM mainly
> Europe/UK/America that was encouraging people to edit their local areas got
> 100s of thousands of views, then those numbers (100+ devoted mappers) could
> be possible.
>
> Note: There seriously needs to be consideration into how we can organise
> devoted mappers nto mapping huge swaths of data.
>
> AI may be possible for buildings, but it certainly isnt possible for
> housenumbers.
>
> Currently, also, I'm thinking of more efficient ways to survey
> hlusenumbers.
> current tools, such as streetcomplete and keypad mapper are not efficient.
> There are definately a FAR more efficient housenumber surveying tool that
> could be made. (Improvemnts could include auto increment for example, being
> able to position housenumbers on a map like "osmpad" which is now defunct).
>
> Streetcomplete will remember the last housenumber for easy iteration these
days, but can't keep track of two sides at a time, or iterate on semi
detached houses mapped as a single way (comma separated numbers).

If the house numbers are clearly posted, you can gather them quite quickly
driving past with a camera set to timelapse, but there are a surprising
number of people who prefer tiny writing on similarly coloured backgrounds.