[Talk-GB] OSMUK walkers map - GitHub repo and demo now available

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed Dec 30 17:13:02 UTC 2020

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your comments.

To be honest, maybe I was expecting a little too much that possible contributors would do a bit of research on what's required, for example the format of a Tangram style file, which is the main thing which controls what is on the map; so that if people wanted to add new things to the map or tweak others, they'd research how to do this in Tangram and have a go at tweaking the file.

You are right that I have said nothing about how I import the db though. I do use a modified osm2pgsql style file for the version on free-map.org.uk, though the version on the OSMUK server uses the unmodified file. I have now added the scripts I use to create the database to the repo.

Issues like the slowness of the map are down to the fact that I do not yet do any caching, plus both servers I use (one donated, one paid-for by myself) are fairly low on memory. Again, the whole point of the demo as it stands is a quick and dirty proof-of-concept to experiment with vector tiles.

Nick