[Talk-GB] Still too many universities in Cambridge

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 15:37:22 UTC 2020

>> (Ironically, the current tagging makes it hard for me to search to see
>> if there's a "proper" amenity=university in there somewhere, e.g. as a
>> relation or area covering a large swathe of them.)
>
>There isn't, I'm afraid.. it's a right hotchpotch

IMHO, it would be a waste of time, if you tried to create a single area object (do I mean "closed way"?) to be the university.  That would just be most of the city centre.
The University is a collection of colleges, so could be a relation...   ...except that each college is probably in several buildings and they may not be in a contiguous area, so each college might have to be a relation of buildings.  So you would have a hierarchy of relations.
Then, I assume that there will be some buildings that belong to the University, but not to any college.  That was certainly true of my Uni (it lies about 70 miles West of Cambridge and is a darker blue), where the Engineering Building, Physics labs, Museum, Examination Halls were all University assets. We used to enjoy the look of puzzlement on the faces of (mostly American) tourists, who stood in the middle of town, surrounded by colleges, mixed in with shops, offices and other buildings, and asked which way to go to the University.
Regards,Peter

    On Tuesday, 4 February 2020, 15:15:38 GMT, Dave F via Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

 On 04/02/2020 14:28, Dan S wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I agree with what you suggest. Can we be a bit precise though about
> what you propose? You're proposing to remove amenity=university from
> building=university in Cambridge, and make no other tagging changes?

That's correct. I'm going to load the 1050 return by this overpass query
into JOSM:
[bbox:{{bbox}}];
nwr[amenity=university][building=university];
out meta geom;

plus another 7 which are still tagged as building=yes.

> (Ironically, the current tagging makes it hard for me to search to see
> if there's a "proper" amenity=university in there somewhere, e.g. as a
> relation or area covering a large swathe of them.)

There isn't, I'm afraid.. it's a right hotchpotch

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/QnH

These are the remaining 117 amenity=university which will need to be
rectified at a later date..

Cheers
DaveF