[Talk-GB] Motorway junctions where the slow lane seperates from the through lanes

Paul Berry pmberry2007 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:14:45 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

Interesting points and no easy answer I fear.

I think in mapping terms the midlines of each carriageway after the diverge
will look more like a upside-down Y and I tend to do a bit of smoothing to
make it look less abrupt. I think this is what you're getting at (apologies
if not). It's not dissimilar to the situation where a single-carriageway
road splits around an island: because the way is drawn as a line—not an
area—the carriageway split is always going to look more dramatic drawn that
way compared to the smooth continuous reality of what's on the ground.

In the situation of a lane drop don't forget to keep track of the
lanes=<num> in the keys.

It might be easier if you just go ahead and map as you see fit then post
the changeset link if you want further commentary.

Regards,
*Paul*