[Talk-GB] Various pedestrian crossing mapping issues

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 10:29:36 UTC 2020

My father is now in his late '80s and not as nimble as he used to be. As a
consequence I'm aware of certain things about various aspects of pedestrian
crossings which either I'm not sure about mapping or have no idea. Most of
these are definitely micromapping topics, but I think they are relevant in
mapping for mobility.

One of the more significant issues we've come across are sets of traffic
lights at junctions with turning traffic. These nearly always have
crossings marked in the sense that there are dropped kerbs & tactile
paving, but because there is no pedestrian phase on the lights (and no
pedestrian indicators) can be quite hazardous. Dad is now adopting routes
which avoid these altogether.

Presumably these are just crossing=traffic_lights with kerb=lowered and
tactile_paving=yes. If so it becomes really important to add crossing_ref
for pelican/puffin/toucan/pegasus crossings with Ampelmännchen
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampelmännchen> (little green men). However I
suspect we should move towards the presence of lights being marked
explicitly. I'm not sure if a tag exists.

Secondly, even existing Pelican crossings seem to have shorter and shorter
crossing times, to the extent that if my father doesn't set out as soon as
the lights turn (for the traffic) he risks being marooned at the island
half-way. We trying to talk to the council about this, but I presume it's
an aspect of car-centric traffic planning. Presumably one could time the
'green man' phase which I could do for the ones we use most frequently, but
it would get tedious to do lots. Perhaps an FOI request might yield some
information.

On a related note there are quite a lot of crossings in London with a
countdown timer indicating seconds left for pedestrians. I first
encountered these in Caceres in 2006, but have never known the appropriate
tag.

Thirdly, island crossings marked by a white non-flashing beacon with a
mid-carriageway refuge, dropped kerbs and (possibly tactile paving) are
common in parts of the country. Once again I'm not sure exactly how to map
these as distinct from other crossing=island (e.g., with the island just
marked with bollards).

Fourthly, I think we often tag zebra-style crossings with crossing_ref even
when these are technically not zebra crossings (no Belisha beacons, no
zigzag no stopping zones either side, etc). Typically these will be on
service roads in car parks or campuses (school, university, hospital etc).
Any suggestions as to whether we should remove crossing_ref or use a
different value.

If I'm going to map some of these details I'd also like some guidance as to
how to determine if a crossing has a vibration mode for blind/partially
sighted people. The RNIB show a picture
<https://www.rnib.org.uk/campaigning-campaign-resources-my-street/crossings>
of a man feeling underneath the indicator, but I don't know any more than
that.

Another thing I've noticed is that many islands on pedestrian crossings are
rather narrow for the larger kind of mobility scooter or wheelchair. Again
no idea of how to approach this.

Has mapped any of the detailed things? Should we be more precise with
crossing_ref?

Regards,

Jerry