[Talk-GB] Tagging ad hoc parking places?

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Thu Jan 30 18:58:12 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 06:14:44PM +0000, Martin Wynne wrote:
> If you enjoy country walking off the beaten track, it's often difficult to
> find somewhere to leave the car for several hours without it getting in
> anyone's way. Country lanes can be narrow with passing places or field gates
> which would be obstructed if a car is left there for long periods.
>
> So it's great to find unofficial parking places such as these -- wide verges
> with solid ground, unused corners at junctions, odd bits of unused land,
> etc.
>
>  https://goo.gl/maps/XrjmrV8eSgRr76U49
>
>  https://goo.gl/maps/cM4HZycSEvWiCHCNA
>
> It would be even better to be able to locate them on a map in advance.
>
> But how to tag them? It's hardly a Car Park. Nor a Lay-By in the usual sense
> -- even if it is, highway=layby appears to be an abandoned proposal:
>
>  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lay-by

Well, I call them (informal) laybys, and they are far too important to
miss off the map.

Layby is the obvious UK term, so I use
highway=rest_area
rest_area=layby.

Just because some people don't like the term layby for some unfathomable
reason doesn't mean that it is not useful and the right term.

But if anyone has a better idea fine.

An example:https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7164280481
I did wonder about attaching a screenshot from the gps-dashcam footage
of that road, but it is nearly 300K and would probably be rejected by
the list software, and maybe a bit antisocial for those with limited
bandwidth...

ael