[Talk-GB] Tagging ad hoc parking places?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 00:35:35 UTC 2020

On 30/01/2020 18:58, ael wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 06:14:44PM +0000, Martin Wynne wrote:
>> -- even if it is, highway=layby appears to be an abandoned proposal:
>>
>>   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lay-by

That was a proposal for "highway=layby".  "layby" does get used as a value:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/search?q=layby#values

but parking=layby is the most common tag/value combination for it in the UK.

> Well, I call them (informal) laybys, and they are far too important to
> miss off the map.
>
> Layby is the obvious UK term, so I use
> highway=rest_area
> rest_area=layby.

I wouldn't personally tag something that's just a layby (or even less
than that) as highway=rest_area; I'd save that tag for things that look
more like the picture at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=rest%20area?uselang=en-GB
.  From memory the examples at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/274233326#map=17/53.11757/-0.75284 on
the A46 do fit the bill as rest_areas; but some of the others at
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Qgc seem to be stretching it.

> An example:https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7164280481
> I did wonder about attaching a screenshot from the gps-dashcam footage
> of that road, but it is nearly 300K and would probably be rejected by
> the list software, and maybe a bit antisocial for those with limited
> bandwidth...

The usual option there is "stick it somewhere and link to it", I guess.
There are various image hosting sites around, or you may have other
options (perhaps something like Google Drive, your own site, etc.
etc.).  Perhaps also knock the size down a bit too (even MS Paint can do
that!).

Best Regards,

Andy