[Talk-GB] UPRN Locations Map

Stephen Knox stephenknox73 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 11:16:38 UTC 2020

On 04/07/2020 08:51, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>* I'm not convinced this data should be pulled into OSM. It would add a
*>* lot of clutter that users would be tempted to move around or delete. In
*>* areas like mine where I've added thousands of buildings and addresses
*>* from surveys, it would be making matters worse not better. It would be a
*>* disincentive to adding more buildings with addresses as the additional
*>* nodes would get in the way of editing, and because they represent a semi
*>* random set of things. Because the dataset is fixed I would think it
*>* should be a layer used alongside OSM by those tools that think it adds
*>* value. Ideally, OSM itself should support layers, but AFAIK it doesn't.*

I don't think there is value in bringing in the points themselves but
I think there definitely is value in tagging existing buildings /
locations with the UPRN where it is incontrovertible - e.g. a single
unit house. This is the vast majority of the buildings in the UK, if
not the addresses. There are difficulties to overcome with multiple
unit buildings, that probably needs a lot of further thought and
possibly further open data releases to do properly, which may appear
eventually. How historical values are managed is also a consideration
to deal with.

UPRNs will not bring any obvious value initially, but will gradually
make OSM much more useful for the commercial sector, hopefully for
everyone's benefit, as they can match IDs from proprietary datasets
with Open OSM data, and it also enables OSM to be used an an
authoritative ID for every building - neither postcodes nor addresses
do that.

Arguably of more use for OSM for the here and now is the change to the
licence of the UK Land Registry INSPIRE polygons to OGL, which I
haven't seen much or any discussion of on this list. This means that
we now have an authoritative reference for boundaries and can use that
to alter and check geometries of things like semi-detached house
boundaries, gardens, hedges etc.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/inspire-index-polygons-spatial-data.

Stephen