[Talk-GB] The curious case of USRN 20602512

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Fri Jul 10 23:00:17 UTC 2020

On 10/07/2020 22:27, Nick wrote:
> Hi Lester
>
> I think there needs to be some thought as to the "proper channel to feed
> corrections to the 'data officer' responsible". It took me months to get
> a 'data officer' to correct the location of a single UPRN, so my thought
> is that this needs to be a 'public' (open) channel that shows a) the
> number of issues identified (the rationale for making data open) and b)
> how long it takes for these to be investigated and resolved (if
> appropriate).

TOTALLY AGREE ... local authorities MAY be required by law to provide
the data, but they get no funding, and no support to manage that data
yet third parties have been making money from it! SO the next step is to
document all the mistakes. There should be no assumption that the
current data set IS correct, which is why it should be used as a
parallel layer and not simply imported over what may well be more
accurate data.

> On 10/07/2020 14:21, Lester Caine wrote:
>> On 10/07/2020 11:27, Mark Goodge wrote:
>>> This is, of course, one of the problems with proprietary data. It can
>>> be difficult to spot errors, because the people who are most likely
>>> to spot errors - members of the general public with local knowledge -
>>> tend not to have easy access to the data.
>>
>> Spot on ...
>> The 'proprietary data' is however the input from the relevant officer
>> at the council covering the area. Probably originally tacked on to
>> another job description and someone who probably had no training is
>> this 'new' function? I was receiving NLPG updates for many years and
>> the vast majority of 'updates' were corrections to data rather than
>> additions. The problem has always been not allowing public access to
>> what has always been public data and now we do have access there needs
>> to be a proper channel to feed corrections to the 'data officer'
>> responsible for the relevant slice of raw data. I don't think THAT has
>> changed since the requirements for councils to provided the raw NPLG
>> data passed into law? I'm fairly sure the street data is part of the
>> same legal framework ...

Lester Caine - G8HFL