[Talk-GB] The curious case of USRN 20602512

Kai Michael Poppe - OSM osm at poppe.dev
Fri Jul 10 15:00:33 UTC 2020

Thank you for this absolute masterpiece of detective work, Marc! I'd never thought that looking through old Notes would spark such an interest :)

As reported before, my own dip into having USRN data underlying JOSM at that particular point showed that this stub (in USRN the part where the barrier is to the northeast of the way isn't shown, so I guess that's really a small part of highway=footway) is recorded with the USRN you named. So I also believe that this isn't something to find copyright infringements - because the way exists, Google Street view clearly shows people walking along that way.

After not having any luck in finding out of copyright maps that helped I wondered, if a FOI request to Ealing Council, naming the exact location and asking for the name would be fruitful. Did anyone ever try something like this? Would this then be seen as a source compliant to the ODbL?

Kai