[Talk-GB] National Cycle Network removal/reclassification

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 12:13:40 UTC 2020

On 18/07/2020 14:47, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> As some of you may be aware, Sustrans has embarked on a project to
> review and improve the National Cycle Network.

(also following on from Jon's message) some of the changes near me do
seem a bit odd.

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/54.23559,-1.23235,14

shows a removed on-road section (along a busy A road) that didn't quite
link two bits of NCN 65 and a similar gap on NCN 656.  OSM fills in both
gaps (see https://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=14!54.2365!-1.2239
). It actually seems reasonable to me to provide a contiguous route
rather than assume the user has some sort of teleportation device.

Does anyone know how Sustrans expect these routes with gaps new and old
to be used, or is it just them saying that "we can't be held responsible
for what happens in the gaps"?

Best Regards,

Andy