[Talk-GB] Electric vehicle charging points

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 21 21:42:01 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-21 22:54, Mark Goodge wrote:

> It's the errors which are more of a problem, because it's generally better not to map something than to map it wrongly.

This is a difficult point. Data is never 100% complete, and frequently
not 100% accurate. At what point it becomes better not to have the thing
in OSM at all, is rather subjective.

If the location was only accurate to ±50m, would it still be good
enough?
If the operator was not tagged, would it still be good enough?

Is an "imperfect" object in OSM more likely to get corrected than a
missing object is to get added? Should I not add a missing object
because I cannot be sure of the "operator" for example? Talking about
the charging points data set, how can one detect what is an error?

I would say, get the data out there, and let the world feed back any
inaccuracies to the source for inclusion in the next version.