[Talk-GB] Solar panels 150k up

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue May 12 10:08:33 UTC 2020

Just would like to point out that we passed the 150,000 mark of solar
panels mapped in the UK. Dan & Jez are best informed about solar farms, so
the rest of this update is on small domestic rooftop installations.

A number of us continue to spend time mapping rooftop panels, and, although
progress is not at the heady rate of last Summer, this has resulted in
improved coverage of a number of local authorities. These are the
activities of which I'm aware, there are no doubt others I've missed:

   - I mainly aim to push reasonably well-mapped LAs over various
   thresholds (50%, 60% & 80% are the ones I find most useful), and to try &
   create a contiguous band of well-mapped (>50%) across England & Wales.
   Recently I've worked on Flintshire, Hinckley & Bosworth and Vale Royal.
   - gurglypipe continues to spread out beyond Lancaster into South Lakes
   to the N & Ribbledale and to the S
   - brianboru continues to pick up a significant number of installations
   across Herefordshire & the Welsh Valleys as part of general mapping work
   - Gregory Williams continues to focus on hotspot unmapped LSOAs
   - MapRoulette users make a steady contribution by converting panels
   mapped as nodes to areas

Gregory has recently updated the FIT data to March which added perhaps
20,000 additional installations. To deal with these he had to change the LA
boundaries used to incorporate unitary authorities (affecting Cheshire,
Cornwall, Wiltshire, Shropshire, Northumberland & perhaps others). One
consequence is that some well-mapped districts dropped below thresholds, so
I've been working over the last few days to restore them if possible
(Ashford, Hart & Rugby still to be hauled back over 50%). Very kindly, he
agreed to retain the original district boundaries on a distinct web page,
because I found working with the old districts of large rural counties more
useful than the new boundaries.

As well as adding new panels here's still plenty to do with the ones
already mapped: adding buildings under mapped panels, adjusting position,
adding number of panels and orientation.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

Regards,

Jerry