[Talk-GB] Solar panels 150k up

Gregory Williams gregory at gregorywilliams.me.uk
Tue May 12 11:03:02 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-05-12 at 11:08 +0100, SK53 wrote:
> Just would like to point out that we passed the 150,000 mark of solar
> panels mapped in the UK. Dan & Jez are best informed about solar
> farms, so the rest of this update is on small domestic rooftop
> installations.
>
> A number of us continue to spend time mapping rooftop panels, and,
> although progress is not at the heady rate of last Summer, this has
> resulted in improved coverage of a number of local authorities. These
> are the activities of which I'm aware, there are no doubt others I've
> missed:
> I mainly aim to push reasonably well-mapped LAs over various
> thresholds (50%, 60% & 80% are the ones I find most useful), and to
> try & create a contiguous band of well-mapped (>50%) across England &
> Wales. Recently I've worked on Flintshire, Hinckley & Bosworth and
> Vale Royal.
> gurglypipe continues to spread out beyond Lancaster into South Lakes
> to the N & Ribbledale and to the S
> brianboru continues to pick up a significant number of installations
> across Herefordshire & the Welsh Valleys as part of general mapping
> work
> Gregory Williams continues to focus on hotspot unmapped LSOAs
> MapRoulette users make a steady contribution by converting panels
> mapped as nodes to areas
> Gregory has recently updated the FIT data to March which added
> perhaps 20,000 additional installations. To deal with these he had to
> change the LA boundaries used to incorporate unitary authorities
> (affecting Cheshire, Cornwall, Wiltshire, Shropshire, Northumberland
> & perhaps others). One consequence is that some well-mapped districts
> dropped below thresholds, so I've been working over the last few days
> to restore them if possible (Ashford, Hart & Rugby still to be hauled
> back over 50%). Very kindly, he agreed to retain the original
> district boundaries on a distinct web page, because I found working
> with the old districts of large rural counties more useful than the
> new boundaries.

The distinct web page is at:
http://osm.gregorywilliams.me.uk/solar_2001/

I also hope to soon have LSOA-level detail on the Scottish pages, which
should help with locating PV installations from aerial imagery more
easily -- I'm conscious that it's a bit difficult at the moment, with
the areas being so physically large.