[Talk-GB] hgv=discouraged

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon May 25 00:29:00 UTC 2020

Hi MateuszYou would need to venture deep into the rural UK to start
finding these signs, they are quite common around here.An example here
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/Hys6QlJfrRC9fNHsPzeTTQ
This one is just narrow, with few ad-hoc passing places, places to
squeeze to allow another car to pass but certainly not a hgv. Meet one
and hopefully you are good at reversing.
One thing that was not mentioned on the international list was there is
also Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles.
An example herehttps://www.mapillary.com/map/im/7DD5trbqVEil3AKJCJeJDg
In practical terms the question is what does this mean. Well its not a
good idea for a router to use these roads blindly, so  although this
example  I have driven through it many times. The practical problems
are that it is a narrow single track road, no space to turn and after a
heavy rain it likely to be under deep water which can flood and destroy
the engine of a modern car.Would I drive through there tomorrow, well
yes. I know it has been dry for the last week.
Another here
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/y3zTGNAT7MgGtxoaGXPUvQWell its
officially an unclassified road, not a green lane or county road, many
practical roads have this category.
It deteriorates into a very muddy, deeply rutted track. I have walked
it, but no way would I attempt to drive the full length of it. Premises
need to to approched from the right end.

Discouraged does seem to be a reasonable tag, effectivly =destination
but a hgv driver in particular does need to know which end to approch
from.
Phil (trigpoint)