[Talk-GB] Q4 2020 Quarterly Project: Defibrillators

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 07:54:28 UTC 2020

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 16:20, Gareth L <o.i at live.co.uk> wrote:
> The UK quarterly project for Q4 has been selected as Defibrillators. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_2020_Q4_Project:_Defibrillators
>
> A check on taginfo shows there are 4181 nodes and ways with emergency=defibrillator in Great Britain. Reading https://cesafety.co.uk/list-of-public-access-defibrillators-across-the-uk from August 2019 reports that there are 5304 defibrillators in London alone.

I've got the AED data from all the Ambulance Services in the UK apart
from Northern Ireland and London in my OSM comparison tool at
https://osm.mathmos.net/defib/progress/ . Much of the data is more
than a year old, but given our current levels of mapping, that
probably doesn't matter too much for now. Of the 25k AEDs in those
Ambulance Services' data, we've currently only got about 12.4% of them
mapped. So there's lots to do.

The Ambulance Services are currently moving to a central UK-wide
database of AEDs called "The Circuit" (see [1] and [2]), which is
being run by the British Heart Foundation. It's not clear whether
they're intending to publish the national set of locations, though my
local Ambulance Service (East of England) have said they intend to
keep publishing a list for their region.

It's apparent from my tool that there are a significant number of AEDs
that we have mapped in OSM but which aren't on the Ambulance Services'
lists. It would be great if we could engage with the people running
The Circuit to look into ways in which they could use OSM data to help
them discover additional AEDs that haven't yet been registered with
them. I doubt they would take our data on trust (I think they want to
have contact details for the owners and regular assurances that the
AED is being actively maintained) but it would be a good source of
hints for them in who to contact to get the missing devices registered
with them.

Robert.

[1] https://www.thecircuit.uk/
[2] https://www.bhf.org.uk/how-you-can-help/how-to-save-a-life/defibrillators/ndn-the-circuit