[Talk-GB] Listed status / scheduled monument

Dave Dunford dunford.dave at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 19:56:35 UTC 2020

The most logical and consistent scheme would seem to me to be - contrary
to Key:listed_status
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:listed_status#England> and
established consensus:

     <*heritage*_status=Scheduled Monument> (which would also work for
<heritage_status=Grade I>, etc.)
     <ref:he=*> (in line with other numeric referencing systems; my
understanding is that HE don't use any other number systems, though you
sometimes see their pre-NHLE numbers quoted, which could be tagged
appropriately)

<listed_status=Scheduled Monument> feels internally contradictory.
<HE_ref=*> is inconsistent with other referencing schemes.

But it's an awfully well-established consensus...

Incidentally, some structures are both Listed Buildings and Scheduled
Monuments (notably crosses and bridges, in my experience), or you get
Listed Buildings (defined by HE as a single point) within scheduled
monuments (defined by HE as an area). Yours is a case in point: the
Priory building is a Grade I listed building
(https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062210) and
the Priory Farmhouse is Grade II
(https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1360390) and
both are within the area defined as a scheduled monument.

Third observation - whatever we do, we should t call them "Scheduled
Monuments" as HE do, rather than the dated "Scheduled Ancient Monuments"
(quite a lot of them - e.g. Victorian lead mines in my part of the world
- aren't that ancient).

Dave<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:listed_status#England>