[Talk-GB] Hello world and automated change proposal: Add missing URL scheme on UK's Pubs websites

Rodrigo Díez Villamuera rodrigo at rodrigodiez.io
Mon Sep 28 08:48:14 UTC 2020

Thanks for your replies!

Regarding the question of why I am proposing to fix only pubs in this run.
I think it would be good to try this script with a reduced scope of nodes
first before raising a more global conversation. I imagine changesets will
be easy to retrieve and un-do.

Worth mentioning that, for the majority of the nodes affected, the websites
are not incorrect per-se, but they are not URLs because they miss a scheme.
This will cause problems to consumers depending on how they use the field
(I first noticed this issue when passing the :website tag to a third party
library which complained about this)

I ran the script on a local database and I have some numbers:

For a total of 159 :amenity=pub nodes with missing scheme on their :website

- 41 (~26%) can be updated with https as a scheme (safer for the end-user)
- 92 (~58%) don't work on https but http can be added as a scheme
- 26 (~16%) seem to be offline, not accessible neither on http or https
(maybe they can be automatically tagged for fixing? thoughts?)

How do I proceed from here? I have a small subset of nodes to test the
proposal with, I have tried the script locally with good results and I
believe the proposal makes the dataset better for consumers and safer for
end-users by adding an https URL to websites that support it

--
Rodrigo Díez Villamuera

w: http://rodrigodiez.io
t: @rodrigodiez_pro