[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] Improving ref=* documentation

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 4 21:23:12 UTC 2021

> On 08/04/2021 11:07 PM Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I think an important addition is that OSM never makes up ref values.
> They must already exist, and must be assigned by someone else, and this
> assignment must be verifiable.
>
> If I tell someone that I have hit my head against lamp post #12345 in
> Paris then they must be able to find out without recourse to OSM where
> that lamp post is. (Otherwise I might as well say I hit my head against
> node #123456789!)

Hi Frederik,

Over the last couple of days there has been some discussion on talk-gb about ref's on highways where the signs on the ground don't align with the official database of the highways authority. Can I take your comment to mean that, in your opinion, we should be following the official truth from the highways authority's registers in preference to the on-the-ground (historical) evidence?

I have CC'd talk-gb so they can follow this discussion