[Talk-GB] Tagging canal staircase locks

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Aug 14 10:04:37 UTC 2021

I've experimentally enhanced my local Bingley Five Rise with both
Edward's and Tom's suggestions.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/280721691

My main motivation is how to highlight subjectively "interesting"
features for tourism and education purposes with quantitative tagging.
It is now possible to find the general location as a tourism=attraction
and pull up full information about it, including all the locks. This is
where I am going with a personal Android app.

Being more serious about relations than my first thread comment, I
loathe the over-use and often unnecessarily complex use of relations
where a simpler solution will suffice. That said, it took a two cups of
coffee research and thought but I think the not well-liked 'group'
relation does seem ideal here IF you want more detail rather than just
Where Is It?

For Foxton Lock, I've followed Dave F's suggestion and simply added more
detail to the existing place=locality tag. So, you can find it and know
what it is using free-form text, but doesn't say anything quantitative
about the locks themselves - perhaps that just doesn't matter?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2413496279 Foxton Locks

I noticed that one can't find the Fort Augustus Flight at all in OSM, so
I have tried a half-way approach and created a place=locality tag but
put it on a group relation:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/13089161 Fort Augustus Lock
Flight (that appears to be the formal name), alt name Fort Augustus Locks

NOTE: The edits are experimental, so if anyone wants to re-edit, FEEL
FREE, (as long as it is not a straight deletion!).

Mike

Other staircase locks mentioned in the thread or that I stumbled across:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.35194/-2.02505 Caen Hill -
Difficult to find in OSM, so definitely needs some TLC

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/239118607 Neptune's Staircase - Mapped
as a tourism=attraction on a single way bounding each lock pool.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/330275022#map=15/53.1268/-2.6321
Bunbury Staircase Locks. Mapped as place=location, tourism=attraction on
a node

https://www.droitwichcanals.co.uk/page24.html :

"The largest narrow boat staircase is the Watford locks which has four
steps and is located on the Leicester line of the Grand Union Canal.
On the Droitwich Junction Canal we have a two staircase lock - locks 4 &
5. The next nearest Staircase lock are the Stourport locks on the
Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal"