[Talk-GB] NaPTAN Data

Silent Spike silentspike100 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 22:30:16 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 8:38 PM Jay Turner <jaynicholasturner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't really know how to analyse the data of the other 65% but I'll
> place a bet it's not in a great state. Additionally, 95% of all
> `naptan:verified` tags are `no`.
>
> FYI, I think the correct tagging for verified is `naptan:verified=yes` - I
> know some people delete the tag.

The original import surveying guidelines actually say to delete the tag
which is likely why it's 95% of the values:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaPTAN/Surveying_and_Merging_NaPTAN_and_OSM_data

I only know this because I did a deep dive into those wiki pages back when
I was planning my more recent Aberdeen import.

wrote:

> *I want to know if it's possible to reimport/mass update NaPTAN data from
> the latest set of information*. Additionally, I propose a few extra tags;

It's certainly possible to join existing  naptan:AtcoCode  tagged features
to the NaPTAN dataset and apply tags based on that. I originally intended
to update the script I wrote for the import to do exactly that, but never
got round to it. As for the extra tags, there's an old thread on this list
from when I proposed my import where some insightful discussion of the tags
to import took place. In the end I imported less than the original import
because bloating OSM elements with tags from another data set is not
desirable when the identifiers (primary keys) serve as a link. However, I
think your proposed tags are reasonable and more generally applicable to
OSM.