[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project 2020Q1

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:13:07 UTC 2021

I'd second this idea.

Even if Bing & OS Map Local haven't caught up, one can make inferences from
presence of UPRNs (some of cause will not yet be occupied properties).
Recently I engaged with someone who added a note
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/2454993> on the edge of Westbury & with
this information (and their very useful detailed notes) was able to make a
reasonable go of it. I think Robert (rjw62) has a view of areas marked
construction which are over 1 year old, Chris Hill's postcode overlay may
also help as any Open Data picked up by Will Phillips' OSM-Nottingham
(Companies House registrations are probably the most useful). I'm also
encountering lots of small infill developments as I go over solar panels
adding additional info (recent example
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/2484688#map=19/53.39274/-3.17522&layers=N>).
Even partially mapped developments can probably be enhanced using these
sources. One potential cue (to be used with care) is that UPRNs are often
assigned sequentially by house number (either for both sides of the street,
or for each side separately) - this works most reliably with housing built
pre-2000 though.

Judicious filtering of open data may produce areas suitable for a
MapRoulette challenge too.

Jerry